PLEASE NOTE: The apprentice role has now been filled, however we are still accepting applications for the Experience Luthier position.
Come and join the Bows for Strings team! We currently have two positions available to join our workshop team of luthiers.
We are looking for an experienced Luthier and an Apprentice Luthier, passionate about music to join our team at our Glen Waverley workshop 4-5 days a week.
The ideal candidate for our Luthier position will have violin workshop experience and be proficient at setting up and repairing bowed instruments. The ideal candidate will love working with musical instruments, be able to fit into a team environment, manage their workload, and be open to evolving their style and techniques to match the Bows for Strings workshop.
Our Apprentice Luthier position is suitable for someone who wants to learn to become a luthier and is looking for a career working with musical instruments. They will need to be a quick learner with a can-do attitude, possess a strong work ethic, have basic woodworking skills and know how to handle tools safely. Luthier experience is not required, as the successful candidate will be taught.
Tasks of the role include (but are not limited to):
- Setting up and repairing instruments to a high standard
- Conducting repair work as guided by the Head Luthier and Owner
- Performing basic instrument maintenance including string changes and instrument cleaning
- Tool maintenance and equipment maintenance
The ideal candidate will be excited about working with musical instruments, and will posses the following characteristics/qualifications:
- Passionate about music and play a bowed instrument (optional)
- Have strong communication skills and be able to communicate clearly with staff
- Demonstrated previous experience working as a luthier for 3+ years (does not apply to the apprentice role)
- Able to handle multiple tasks and prioritise what needs to be done
- Know how to safely handle machinery and tools
- Able to work well in a team environment
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you!
In a brief cover letter please tell us why you would be perfect for this role, what excites you about working at Bows for Strings, and what your relevant previous experience is.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We are accepting applications for the next 4 weeks (until 11 December).
About Bows for Strings:
Bows for Strings was Founded by Nicolas Fyfield in 1998. What started as a home-based workshop quickly grew to become one of the most respected bowed instrument providers in Australia, supporting the musical journey of players across the country.
Bows for Strings is known for its extensive range of new, second-hand and antique instruments for all levels of musician from the daring beginner to the accomplished professional. Through long-standing relationships with international instrument makers, Bows for Strings has proudly raised the quality of student level products available in Australia.
Today, Bows for Strings can be found in its new home in Glen Waverley. featuring a beautiful showroom, playing space, and fully equipped workshop.